Wow! I just watched the first episode of the GMOs Revealed last night and it was great! It’s a brand-new 9 part docu-series to spread the truth about the dangers of GMOs. They’re releasing 1 episode per day and each one is only available for 24 hours, so it may already be too late to see the first episode but it’s not too late to see the other ones. Even if you’re reading this later than a week from now, you still should be able to see at least one of the episodes for free so I still recommend watching it.
Most processed foods contain GMOs so it’s virtually impossible for the average American to avoid them. We’re being poisoned by the food industry, who is destroying the environment at the same time. This is an extremely important issue that should concern us all!
I’m already pretty aware of the story of GMOs so I didn’t expect to learn much in the first episode.
The first speaker, Zach Bush, MD, gave so much knowledge in such a short period of time. His section was chock-full of information that gives you a good understanding of how we got here. The first episode of this series was so good I can cofidently make the following recommendation:
I only planned to watch a little of it, but I was up super late last night because I not only watched the whole thing, but then I restarted it to watch the beginning again and take down some notes.
Here’s a few of the great insights from each of the 3 speakers.
Summary of First Episode of GMOs Revealed
Zach Bush, MD
- About 100 years ago we started to really ruin the top soil. We weren’t rotating crops, or feeding it compost.
- The petroleum industry was booming because of war. When World War I ended, the petroleum industry needed another way to continue selling all the petroleum they’ve been producing. They realized the petroleum had 3 key elements necessary for plant growth – nitrogen (N), phosphorous (P), potassium (K). To compensate for the poor soil, the use of synthetic, petroleum fertilizers came at just the right time!
- Lacking most of the other minreals, sythetic NPK fertilizers caused the plants to became weak and vulnerable to insects.
- Herbicides arewater soluble toxins.
- Water soluble toxins get in the blood instead of being stored in fat. They then can go into the brain.
- Water soluble toxins get into the water and rain.
- We can provide enough food without GMOs. We did before.
- Agent Orange was used to to dissolve the foliage of plants in Vietnam so we could see the Viet Cong.
- No one wants to weed in the garden so herbicides were an easy sell.
- Roundup is a less toxic version of Agent Orange.
- Roundup inhibits the shikimate pathway, which prevents our good bacteria from making 4 essential amino acids, such as tyrosine.
- They knew about its anti-biotic effect because they used it for that purpose before being used as a pesticide.
Voni Hari “The Food Babe”
- Bt corn makes insects’ stomachs explode when they try to eat it. Imagine what it does to us.
- The long term effects of eating GMOs has never been tested long term.
- GMOs should be banned, or at least labeled so we can decide if we want to eat it or not.
- Her best advice for a young kid who finds out about the dangers of eating some foods is to tell a friend about so the news spreads like wildfire.
- Large food manufacturers spend millions of dollars a year lobbying to the FDA who make decisions on whether or not these foods are allowed.
Gunnar Lovelace (co-founder of Thrive Market)
- For the first time in history, we can get organic food and items for the same price as we can get conventional.
- They cut out a lot of middle-men and pass the savings to the consumer.
- Thrive Market is $60 per year, but for every paid membership they give away a membership to low-income families.
- Largest retailer of non-GMO foods.
- They ship nationally for free.
- There are studies coming out saying we only have 60 harvests left on the planet.